Thursday, February 2, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars {or refuel bars}

I received a very special treat after our downtown run.  One of the girls brought homemade re-fuel bars.  She told me about them while we were running the week before.  Of course my mind thinks about food more than running and I was so excited when she brought one (or two for hogs like me) for everyone last week.

I've made them at home.  Twice.  I feel so good about the ingredients that are in them and what I am feeding my boys as we head out the door in the morning.  And, bonus - they actually make you feel satisfied.

So, thanks to Jen - here you go!



Re-Fuel Bars


3.25 cups Kashi Heart to Heart Honey toasted cereal
2.75 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup un blanched almonds
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup uncooked oat bran cereal (find it near oatmeal)
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup flax seed
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 cups creamy PB
1.5 cups honey
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine PB and honey. Cook over med heat until PB is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Pour over cereal mixture, mix well.

2. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1 inch pan; gently press into pan. Cool completely. Cut into bars - about 3 dozen. Store in airtight container (I wrapped mine individually in wax paper for easy snack grabbing).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmm...Yummmy, this looks great and easy!