Sunday, May 11, 2008

Grueling

At mile 10 I vowed that I would never do this again. The 25K Riverbank run that is. I could feel every muscle in my body screaming. My foot was in severe pain and is still killing me this morning. But, I finished! This 3rd time participating in this run was the hardest for me. Maybe because of the extra pounds I'm still holding on to from Jake. I'd be happy to let them go though. They just don't want to leave me.

I decided that my favorite part of the Riverbank is the bonding. My faithful training partner Kate and I crossed the finish line together. We bonded as a group pre and post race. Matt, Duane, Sarah, Jodi, Kate, and I all rode together in the YFC van and exchanged many stories that only couldcome from race day - other people's bloody nipples, peeing in the woods, encouraging people, chaffing....the list goes on. My favorite happened to be that there was no more toilet paper in the portables. Um...do you know what happens to people after they run for long distances? Enough said about that.

With all of that said, it's an experience that is unforgettable and I'm pleased that I accomplished my goal - to finish! See you later Saturday haunts.

Thank you to all of you who pledged me money for Youth for Christ! I will publish totals later.

2 comments:

Nilsa S. said...

Nice job, Tara! As a former long-distance runner, I always vowed I quit if it became too painful. As you know, running in and of itself is painful. Add in injuries and I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. You're a strong woman than I!

Anonymous said...

You are AWESOME!!! I still owe you money. I'll bring it next weekend with your tile. Good for you :) Congrats!!